Week of 8/26/19

8/27

I began planning out my media experiment and what I would need. I want to look at how different growth mediums affect the growth of a bacteria, from the morphology of the bacteria's morphology, to the individual bacteria's morphology, to the protein expression. So I will be growing Deinococcus aquaticus on six different media and studying the differences and similarities.

I also began reviewing a paper given to me by Chad, "Quantitative Characterization of the Growth of Deinococcus geothermalis DSM-11302: Effect of Inoculum Size, Growth Medium and Culture Conditions". It may provide some insight into the question of media effect, and could be interesting to either recreate the experiment with D. geothermalis or tweak it for D. aquaticus.



8/30

Because Trevon and I are the veterans of our TRAIN group, we assisted with teaching the new TRAIN students how to do gram staining, as that is a technique that is used extensively in the lab. The image below shows students lined up at the counter at various stages of the process, practicing their technique and taking notes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking About the Future

Learning, Past and Future

My Online Presence